What Makes a Good Affiliate?
Affiliates come in many similar forms but let’s face it, not all are created equal. What we’ve learned over the years is that there are definitely good and not so good ones out there and it’s our job to continue to find and optimize the good and to eliminate the bad. When we do find “good” affiliates there seems to always be several qualities that stay consistent from business to business. Whether we’re dealing with a large network or a small niche website affiliates that keep these qualities consistent will usually find a way to succeed.
- Having credible and unique content: Content is key and it should not only be easy to read but there should be a lot of it. Potential students should be able to easily find out exactly what they’re looking for when researching a school. Keeping content up to date and relevant to our target demographic will lead to better informed leads and to more potential students.
- Being organized: Organization entails a lot more than one would think when it comes to being an affiliate. Organized not only means that a site looks nice and flows well but more importantly that the lead path is clear and easily understood by any level of user. There should be no confusion as to what a potential student is applying for or how to apply. Having an organized lead path and a clear opt-in are two of the most important components of delivering quality leads that will convert. Using misleading advertising or tricking users is not only prohibited but it is detrimental to an affiliate’s long term success.
- Relevant Traffic: You could have an award winning website or the best proprietary software in the world but without targeted traffic the website becomes useless. Sending irrelevant traffic to a site is a common factor we find with many unsuccessful affiliates. Determining the relevancy and effectiveness of a sites traffic can often times be tough to reveal but is extremely important as it can quickly be dangerous to an affiliates overall conversions and success. Traffic should be targeted, relevant and strategically planned. The traffic sources an affiliate uses can make or break a business.
- Transparency: What are you hiding? This is what we often question when it comes to affiliates that don’t want to provide us with transparency into their sites, processes, traffic, call scripts, etc. This is something as a company PlattForm constantly pushes our affiliates for. We feel that in order to run a successful affiliate network having transparency is a necessity. Affiliates that give us full transparency are immediately set up for far more success than those that won’t. Transparency allows us to help them optimize their sites, offer suggestions and really form a partnership whose goal is to delver the best, most qualified leads to our clients.
- Responsiveness: Changes happen daily in the world of lead generation. We need affiliates that can stay on top of immediate changes and can react quickly to our client’s needs. Budget changes, content updates, lead inquiries and the list goes on…but regardless of what the change is responsiveness is essential to having a successful affiliate partnership. Pushing for quick turnaround times and getting affiliates to understand the need for this is a key part of what we do. We continue to strive to meet all deadlines and hold our affiliates accountable to do the same.
We all know these five traits aren’t the only ones that determine the quality of an affiliate but they are staples that we look for and measure each affiliate on. Just like in any business there always seems to be a few bad apples that can unfortunately damage the reputation of others. At PlattForm we are committed to finding the best of the best and challenging them to get better every day. We are truly committed to only delivering the best results.